I have been pondering for a while now on how we as a family could do something to help others. I want my girls to be actively involved in "giving something back". Yes we donate to charities but I wanted something more physically evident to my girls, something that would be given directly to someone in need in our community!
Each year the school that I work at makes up "food boxes" for Saint Vincent de Paul. The kids all bring in a non - perisable food item and at the end of the term, just before Christmas the boxes are given to St Vinnies and the distribute them to local families in need.
I was thinking how can I do more? How can my own children be involved? Then I thought what if we made up our own box of food - as a family. We are definately not rolling in money but I know we could add two food items to our weekly food shopping. If we add them to a box each week over the school term we would have 20 items of food to help a family this Christmas. So simple!
- Ring your local Vinnies and see if they are collecting food hampers at Christmas(I'm sure they will be!!!!) They may even "allocate" you a family ie "Mum with three kids/Mum, Dad and 4 kids/ Mum with a baby etc...
- Find a large cardboard box - we are going to get the kids to decorate ours! Get them involved!
- Each week for the next 10 weeks we are going to buy two extra food items - to go in the box for a family in need this Christmas!
- I want my kids to be involved with choosing the items, arranging the box etc...
- At the end of the 1o weeks deliver your box to St Vinnies.
- YOU CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE!
I'm tired of hearing "how can I make a difference? I'm just one person? etc..." Now is the time to really help some in your community. What did you last spend on shoes? Wine? Craft supplios,Take away? Two items a week in your food shopping is simple I'm sure!
I hope you will join me!http://www.coneinc.com/old/.a/6a00e008d5230e8834010536554189970c-800wihttp://